What is G04?
The G04 command instructs the machine to Dwell (Do nothing) for a period given in milliseconds. It is commonly used at the end of a cutting operation to ensure that the cutter machined the “last bits” of material and to eliminate any tooling marks.
- P – Period in Miliseconds
What it does:
The machine stops (Dwells) for the given period before the next command in the program will be executed. In the above example, the machine will wait for 1 second.
Typical cases for use:
- Allowing chips to break. Mainly used on drilling and parting-off operations.
- Eliminating tooling marks at the end of a movement.
- Enabling the cutter to release deflection caused by the cutting force.
- Ensuring the machine is positioned more accurately before starting a critical movement.
- Waiting for M-codes to take full effect. (For example, waiting for the pump to reach full flow and pressure after turning on coolant)
Learn about more G-Codes